Fast940 Frequently Asked Questions

Know all about frequently asked questions in Fast940.

Fast940 Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Question

A. Use Form 940 to report your annual Federal Unemployment Tax Act (FUTA) tax. Most employers pay both a federal and a state unemployment tax. Only employers pay FUTA tax. Don't collect or deduct FUTA tax from your employees' wages.

A. Any business who paid wages of $1,500 or more to employees in any calendar quarter in 2022 or 2023 or a business that had one or more employees for at least some part of a day in any 20 or more different weeks in 2022 or 20 or more different weeks in 2023.

A. Only if you paid cash wages of $1,000 or more in any calendar quarter in 2022 or 2023. Generally, employers of household employees must file Schedule H (Form 1040) instead of Form 940. See IRS Publication 926 for more information.

A. Did the agriculture employer pay cash wages of $20,000 or more to farmworkers during any calendar quarter in 2022 or 2023? Did the agriculture employer employ 10 or more farmworkers during some part of the day (whether or not at the same time) during any 20 or more different weeks in 2022 or 20 or more different weeks in 2023? File Form 940 if you answered yes to either question above.

A. Employers are required to file Form 940, the Employer's Annual Federal Unemployment (FUTA) Tax Return, annually by January 31st of the following year. However, if the business is located in Alaska or Hawaii, the deadline is February 15th.

A. A state that hasn't repaid money it borrowed from the federal government to pay unemployment benefits is called a credit reduction state. The credit reduction states will be determined in November 2023.

A. Although Form 940 covers a calendar year, you may have to deposit your FUTA tax before you file your return. If your FUTA tax is more than $500 for the calendar year, you must deposit at least one quarterly payment.

A. Add the first $7,000 of each employee's annual wages you paid during the quarter for FUTA wages paid and multiple that amount by 0.006.

A. You must use EFT to make all federal tax deposits. Generally, an EFT is made using EFTPS. You can submit your payment with your Form 940 when you file with

A. You can avoid paying penalties and interest if you do all of the following:

  • 1.Deposit and pay your tax when it is due
  • 2.File your fully completed Form 940 accurately and on time
  • 3.Attached Schedule R (Form 940) if required
  • 4.Ensure your tax payments are honored by your financial institution

A. You will need to report the Employer Identification Number (EIN), Business name and address, Total wages paid to employees during the year, Amount of FUTA, tax deposited during the year, Number of employees and State unemployment tax liability.

A. Failure to file Form 940 by the deadline will result in a 5% penalty of the tax due. This amount will accrue on a monthly basis until the amount owed is paid in full. The IRS will also penalize you for making a late payment or for not paying the full amount you owe. You will be charged 2-15% of the unpaid tax depending on how many days your payment is late.

A. You should keep copies of filed Forms 940 for at least four years after the due date of the form or the date the required FUTA tax was paid, whichever is later. This is because the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) may audit your tax return and request to see copies of your Forms 940.

A. You can view, download, or print most of the forms, instructions, and publications you may need at Otherwise, you can go to Forms to place an order and have them mailed to you.

A. Notify the IRS immediately if you change your business name. Write to the IRS office where you file your returns, using the without a payment address provided in the instructions for your employment tax return, to notify the IRS of any business name change.

A. If you accidentally over-deposit your payroll taxes, you can request a refund of the overpayment from the IRS.

A. If you underpay your payroll taxes, you may be subject to penalties and interest charges on the unpaid balance.

A. Yes, you can change your deposit schedule. However, you must notify the IRS before the start of the quarter in which you want to change your deposit schedule.

A. To be considered a monthly depositor for Form 940, a business's total FUTA tax liability for the previous calendar year or the last 12 quarters must be $50,000 or less. If the business is new, its tax liability for the lookback period is considered zero. The business must have filed Form 940 quarterly for the previous calendar year or the last 12 quarters. The business must not have any outstanding late penalties for FUTA taxes.

E-File Your Federal 940 With!

Simple, Accurate and Trustworthy.

TRY Fast940 NOW Fast940 Arrow Right
Move to top